View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #14
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
yeah the stock tires are garbage. i honestly dont understand why people hate carbs so much. i would prefer something simple that if need be can be fixed on the side of the road instead of some fancy magical box that does everything for me and tells me what to do... what if its wrong? bad sensors? bad fail trips? what if your bike gets hit by lightning!!! lol ok maybe a bit of a stretch there, but seriously i love how cheap carbs are compared to efi
Us "old guys" (I'm 55) get a kick out of the younger generation, most "seem" to think checking the oil level is "wrenching"...... they go to the shop for an oil change, pipe fitment, jetting or even a tire change. Which to us older gen, is something one normally does themselves, without thinking about it.

In their defense, bikes have become super reliable so there is not a lot to do, or learn how to do. The olden days, we were just happy if we got home!.....lol. We were always fixing something.

the guys at the track just shake their heads as us vintage racers, as they come in, get off the bike, and hang out till the next race. We come in wipe the oil off the bike, pull plugs to read them, check and see what's about to fall off, what fell off, and then fix it. And maybe a jet change and timing adjustment in there too!

A few years ago at Deals Gap, a buddy had installed his transmission wrong and actually broke the shift drum in half. The "new bike" riders would walk by and look bewildered as there we were with the engine side covers off, tools and engine parts all over the ground. My buddy thought his riding week was over, but a local guy said I have a shift drum at home, (vintage bike riders always have stacks of spare parts) want me to get it? I said sure! So as he went to get it, we pulled the motor out, took it in the room and began to tear it to pieces. He showed up a hour later and we stuck in the new drum, stuck the motor back together and back in the frame in a couple of hours. The young guys couldn't believe we did it. And stuff like that happens every year, and every year we get the strangest looks.......lol.
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote