View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #50
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

I changed my first rear tire a month ago and it was a bear (due to inexperience no doubt), but if you're going to do it yourself, I have a few suggestions:

1.) Do not, under any circumstances, try to work your tire off of the rim while it rests on the brake disc. The disc may look resilient but like all metals, it can deform if you apply enough stress to it. Deformations are most likely to occur at the splines, which connect the brake contact area to the mounting points. Put the tire on a set of 2x4s to get some clearance between the disc and the ground. If you are changing a tire for the first time on a newly-purchased used bike, its probably a good idea to check your brake disc once the tire is reinstalled as the prior owner may have made this mistake. Spin the tire and lightly apply the rear brake. If you feel the brake lever "flutter" up and down as the tire spins, your brake disc is garbage and you'll need to replace it (eBay is your friend here but make sure you ask the seller to measure the contact area width with a set of calipers before purchasing. It should be between 4.7 and 5.1mm).

2.) Invest in a heavy-duty adjustable clamp and a set of tire irons. The clamp should be the kind that has a trigger-pull tightening mechanism (I have a Dewalt and it works wonders). To break a bead, place the ends of the clamp just shy of the rim (you don't want to clamp down on the rim at all) and tighten it as much as you can. Then take a tire iron and place one about 3 inches to the right of the clamp with the spoon pointing up. Then take another, spoon pointed down, and place it in between the clamp and the tire iron you just placed. Work it in between the rubber of the tire and the rim. This may take several tries. Once you do that, push down on the first tire iron you placed and pull up on the second. If you did it right, the bead should break with little effort.

3.) Invest in some cheapo knee pads from Walmart or a sporting goods store. When you put the tire back on, you'll need to "walk" you're knees around the tire to keep it on the rim. Even while wearing heavy denim, The treads of the tire will dig into your knees, which can be quite painful. Put knee pads on before performing this step.
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote