View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #89
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Wouldn't any probable power gains of running higher octane be dependant on whether or not Kawasaki programmed in ignition advance limits?
Yes absolutely all of this is based off the initial map they put together plus the compensation tables values they imputed.

Example intake air temps since jiggles likes that one. In the map there is a IAT compensation table which represents a range of temps. This ensures the bikes runs good from -20 to 120F if those are the values put in. So yes kawasaki would optimize the tune for the best environment and fuel of their choosing which in this case could be 87 octane. The point is that the tune deals with changes from inputs whether it is fueling or IATs, .....

When we get a either piggy back ECU or a replacement one which is programmable we would optimize it for our fuel environment variables. So in the case of temps I would say hey I am in Texas and would narrow my -20F temp for the bottom of the scale to be 0F so when the ECU calculates the Result willbe a closer one. The down side of this is as you narrow the scope of a tune you also have to potentially adjust it more as well to maintain the up in power you have gained like changing jets and such but it's just updating a map or having a few maps for the different times of year. The O2 is must have in my book.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote