Old June 10th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #4
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
2 realistic options imho...

1. drop engine and find replacement engine, fix required items to ride (bars, levers, rearsets, ect..) just be ok with the scratches/scuffs on fairings

2. Part out... and move on

Sorry man, wish it was better news.
I hear ya. I've been searching CL for a parts bike or used engine with no luck. Finding something on ebay probably won't work due to shipping cost to hawaii.

New engine is definitely easier than trying to get new cases and swapping all the internals over. If I did the latter, I'd probably be too tempted to try and overbore it and replace the pistons because they are pretty worn at 35k miles of abuse. All of that would add to the cost.. more gaskets, new seals.. it would get expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I don't have experience with these engine cases in particular, but often/usually the two halves are bored as a pair, and it won't necessarily work to change just one of them.
This is exactly the type of info that I need to make an educated and reasonable decision.

Dangit, I've had a lot of positive memories from this machine.

Then again... greener pastures await. Power to weight ratio..

09 ninja 250r.
-39hp (more like 43, after all I've done to it)
-375lb

09-12 cbr6
-98hp
-410lb

13-17 cbr6
-100hp
-417lb

06-16 yam r6
-124hp
-417lb

Someone effectively summed up the power of the ninja 250r once. Some random character at a gas station.. "Ninja 250? My wife has one of those.. *right wrist gesture* Hold it wide open.. and wait!"