View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #55
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

"As the server turns...."

I decided to try a completely different hosting provider this morning, and moved everything over to them. This was instead of rebuilding it yet again on the existing host, after it hadn't worked properly on the first 3 builds I had already done there. It felt like wasted work, so why not start fresh. This new host (gridvirt.com), offers higher capacity VPS plans, and in total it's only somewhat cheaper than the dedicated host we were using two hosts back, the one with performance problems that caused this thread to be opened up in the first place.

We are now on a KVM VPS architecture, running Centos 6.4 64-bit, with 10 CPU cores, 100 GB of SSD storage, with 8 GB of ram available. I've provisioned 2 VPS's using those resources, with the production taking 8 cores, 80 GB of storage, and 6 GB of ram. A test server will take the remainder.

So far it seems to be running well, though it's only been up for a day. I have noticed periodic spikes where the CPU load goes up quite high, but with the 8 cores it seems to handle it without a hitch, and knock it back down progressively until it's at baseline again. I'm hoping that this activity is well within what's expected for this size of VPS, so with any luck we won't be shut off unexpectedly as has happened several times over the last few days.

Ultimately, I guess I could consider a dedicated host again, but I really don't think this level of traffic needs it yet as long as a VPS can handle the occasional spikes. Please post up if you see anything weird performance wise (or anything-else-wise) on the new host.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote