View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2022, 07:29 PM   #44
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

In addition to my previous post here .... you NEED to keep your arms fairly loose or relaxed but totally in control if you hit a patch of sand in a corner and the wheel suddenly turns to the left you need to keep it from turning or it will continue to slide when you come out of the sand... so in reality your arms are not relaxed but keyed and ready to respond
that is not relaxed but poised for action... the mussels are however not tight. they can be in a split second...but the mussels are not real tight just moderately.
you definately do not want a DEATH grip on the handlebars but a firm grip nonetheless
....I have been known to have a relaxed grip when crusing down the freeway and have my hands so relaxed that I hit a bump and lost my grip on the handle bars.... that is too extream ! you don't want that kind of relaxed ! that is too much !
You can force the motorcycle to do your bidding and dirt bike riding is all about this
because the things done on a dirt bike are never done on the street so if you loose traction in both wheels on the dirt try to stay with it and force it to your will it can be done ! and the same can be said for the street as well I personally have saved it from crashing into a car that pulled out in front of me on several occasions ...I didn't abandon my bike I rode it out ... the question is was that wise ? .....Probably but we'll never know the repercussions of what would have happened if I had just bailed.
.... I was riding my W1 Kawasaki 650 on big bend road flying low going about 50mph on a road that cars went 25~30mph on I came around a sharp bend and saw a big 4x4 truck on the right shoulder I didn't think much of it and just swerved onto the left lane to pass when I saw his turn signal flash I thought OH SH#T and as if in slow motion I saw his left front tire turn real sharp and he romped on it.... needless to say the bike and I separated. I flew over his hood and slid off the bank and was stunned for a few seconds... now in front of the truck I struggled to raise myself up on my left hand and looked back to see if that idiot was going to still run over me... but he stopped.
and I then knew what a fly feels like when you swat them with a fly swatter. nothing worked... vision was blurred I couldn't breathe or move... the guy came running over and said man are you alright and I couldn't answer..... it took a few seconds and he could hear me gasping for air.... I finally got out I think I am ok.... about 2 minutes passed while I gathered myself together and could move again but I was definately wobbly on my legs... I walked over to see my bike with the front forks bent back flat against the engine.... and he said sorry man I didn't see you.... we put my bike in the back of his truck and he took me home.... we unloaded the bike and he split real fast so fast I didn't get the 1947 motors manual that I had unstrapped off the back of the bike !
that was a very rare book and I had taken it down to a friend so he could use it on his old equipment with the job done I was retrieving it... never saw that book again.

that is how accidents happen.... you cannot prevent them or plan for them they just happen.... there was no time to think I rounded the corner and bamm I'm in the air.
if you are lucky enough to see it coming yah relax as much as you can but you are not going to be able to relax because **** is upon you ! when I hit the ground I hit flat on my back I think I did a full summer-salt in the air my hands leaving the handle bars at the very last... then I slid about 20' off the dirt turnaround and off the side and came to rest with my hands at my side.
..... Sh#t happens and it's not nice when it does, you just go through it the best you can!!
Bob......