Thread: First ride out
View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2023, 07:33 AM   #23
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB64 View Post
My plan is to add a -6 weld on to the bottom of the thermostat housing as in the pic, just stuck a fitting on as a demo.
My original plan for the EX500 was pretty similar. The "bowl" at the bottom of the stat housing seemed like just about the only place where you could do anything. Ideally, I wanted to find a hose barb that was about the same diameter as the bowl so I could tap it and just thread it in, and the ID would match the bottom of the stat so it would be a nice little blockoff.

I learned just yesterday that they have "double poppet" thermostats. Instead of the bare bulb at the bottom, there's a second plunger there. When it gets hot and opens, the bottom plunger also moves down to seal off the bypass. Having the standard thermostat extend down in the way of the bypass is sort of a poor man's version of that.

It would be cool if you could find something like this to completely seal it off, but all of the ones I've seen are way too big for the Ninja's stock housing. And obviously, the housing would need to match the dimensions of the stat, so that it has enough room to fully open but still seals against the bypass port.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote