View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2023, 04:46 PM   #8563
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in the past I've ran tires way past their replacement date often but I drew the line when the cord showed ! LOL

I've also had no trouble getting patches to stick real good once I started
covering a larger area than the patch itself.... I now typically bring my buffed up area out at least 3/4" beyond the patch area before patching then I cover the entire buffed area with a heavy layer of glue then lay the patch and press in
I usually pause between those actions to alow the contact cement to dry slightly before putting on the patch and then usually clamp a block of wood or metal washer over the patch clamp it with welding vicegrips and then let it set in the sun to dry for at least 24 hours.... never had a patch like that come off
I have had patches come off I didn't clamp and let dry.
on a few (not many) tires I have used Shoe-goo from walmart to fill the sliced rubber knob that went down to the cord.... I cleaned it real good and
then squeezed in the shoe goo and then clamped it with rubber bands and vice grips and let dry in the sun.... letting it dry good is the key ! take it in the house and put near a heater vent over night should do the trick but it does need to dry good.

I usually run my tires with less than the recommended air pressure so they do flex alot... Patches were designed to be used with normal tire pressure
certainly not below normal tire pressure as they cannot flex that much very long.... On one tire on my Honda 305 dream I had a patch that started leaking again and it was because the patch itself ripped apart because of the flexing.... the adhesion was top notch but the patch itself was junk
so I patched over it entirely and I had to re balance the wheel.....
the tube had 3 patches in it and needed to be replaced 3 years ago but no funds meant I had to press it back into service... I ran it like that for over a year but I did add more air pressure in the rear tire in hopes of keeping it alive a little longer... when I finally had enough money to replace the tube and tire I did so.... I got a Parelli MT53 and that tire made me a believer in
quality tires, I put on 1000 miles a month for over 5 years on that tire and it never did let me down it's universal tread was just the tire I needed

I was dismayed that I could not replace that tire as Perelli had quit making them (they started re making them sense then) but at the time they were no where to be found so I had to get something else and I was careful to get a heavier side wall tire... because at the time they had tires available that were just thick inner tubes super thin tires that have sense been outlawed
in this state... I know I got one before and it darn near got me killed !
thin tires and motorcycles do NOT MIX !!!!! there was no internet at the time so which tire was a good tire was anyone's guess.... I asked at the big new Honda shop and they ranted and raved at this one tire that was quite expensive... so I bought it took it home and put it on and was pleasantly surprised that it was almost as good as the Pirelli MT53 ! by the end of that tire's life the bike was completely wore out.... so I sold it to my sister for $50.00 and then got Married ! and left California....
California is a great place to be FROM..... Your Opinions are not appreciated I quickly learned. but the state itself is so screwed up it is best to leave it behind for greener pastures !
....I only came back here to help my Mother in her Old age.... and I still am looking for a way to move out of the state again...these people are nuts !
For the most part the people are like anywhere else, but we have the Lion share of the more vocal radicals that know that beyond a shadow of doubt their way is the best way....the Rural people on the whole know their nuts
but that does not dissuade them a bit.... so the Big cities pass laws for the entire state that the rest of the state doesn't want...
and it's always been like that....

I am waiting for the day when I can put flat free foam into my motorcycle tires and never have to worry about a flat again....
( yes I have used green slime in street bike tires with good success)
However when it gets Old and THICK it starts giving you balance issues
so I am not sure how long you can safely run it in a street bike....as one thing you do not want is a out of balance tire on a street bike !

Bob....