View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2023, 11:17 PM   #9
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

Yeah I can't take it too personal because I know a lot of people who never rode before, buy a bike and then wreck it (usually very minorly, like a fairing scrape and bent levers) and just stop riding forever out of fear or discouragement. The advice to take a riding course isn't that bad, I'll never be perfect, and it'd help some even if I wouldn't benefit from it as much as someone who hasn't ridden as much.

I have a fear of braking and leaning because I know it's not as forgiving as dirt and keep myself out of trouble by telling myself not to brake while leaning. I watched a lot of safety material on riding when I was younger and all the wrecks seemed to be from too much speed for the experience level, or grabbing brakes too hard.

I have issues with grabbing brakes way too hard because I grew up on secondhand abused stuff that should've been maintained, but wasn't. I spent most of my time riding clapped out cable and linkage operated drum brakes on an xr100, and because of that, wiped out way too many times on other bikes that had properly working brakes. Old habits are hard to get rid of.

It'd be cool to have a smaller bike for warming up after not riding for so long, one for the dirt, in case I push it and go down. It seems like dirt bikes are made to be dropped a lot more too, the plastics are smooth and don't crack at all until bent in half
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote