View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2023, 01:58 AM   #35
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yah ! my thoughts too...like the starter is working so hard at turning it over there's no voltage to fire the plug....
so either the starter is drawing too much power OR the automatic decompression thingy on the cam isn't working..... and I bet it's the latter !
it's a brand spanking new battery not 2 weeks old so I am assuming it is fine
however i do not know the condition of the starter or if the decompression actuator is working or not..... I don't think it is as I heard it struggle real hard to turn it over when the battery was drained down to 10 volts just before I charged it for 3 days at 2 amps
from what I know it shouldn't be hard to turn over EVER when starting at slow speeds the centrifugal action kicks in and the cam depresses one exhaust valve
..... so it shouldn't ever struggle turning it through....
of course it could be just a gummed up starter that is real hard to turn too...
i've seen starter motors that would barely turn ...clean them up and they spin super fast !..... but I have a feeling that is not the case here....
i'm thinking decompression mechanism.
but the drain on the battery if the starter was all gummed up or rubbing the armature, would explain draining the brand new battery.... and that starter has no doubt been used millions of times because there is no Kick starter on it...... I may well change that in the future if I can rummage up the parts !
it takes a side plate from a XR650R the kick starter shaft and drilling a hole for a Pin and the driven gear.... I think ! about $200 bucks on ebay if you can find them or $800.00 new lol.
anyway..... maybe some tinkering will make it start better....
Bob.......