View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:26 PM   #38
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well, today I got in the Fuel air screw I have been waiting for for the XR650L
so I need to take the carb back off and put it in there so I can adjust it properly for this altitude ( I am sure that has never been done on it!)
I also cut the side stand down another 2".... that is 4" total off the side stand ! that is alot !
.... and that actually seems to be just about right ..it leans enough to be stable with the high winds we get and it's not so angled that it is hard to climb abord ! LOL
... it fired up easily today (50 deg. outside) but actually didn't run the greatest because I forgot to turn on the gas and I always try to run the carb empty before I turn it off....(old habbits die hard) once I remembered to "turn on the gas dummie" it ran great
the Rack for the rear and the side protectors should be here next week I hope april 7th anyway.... ...
and then I buttoned it all back up put my tools away and went into the house to get a cup of coffee and the Kuruge coffee maker thing refused to work.... it's complaining about needing to be de-scailed so I had to resort to grinding some beans and making a 12 cup pot the old way.... I tell ya life is ROUGH ! HAHAHAHA
that super fast Keurig coffee maker is so fast it spoils you quickly !
next to do on the XR is pull the carb and do the Daves mod on it that is remove the slide and drill 2 holes out in the slide to 5/32" so the throttle reacts faster and then re jet it with a bigger jet....( if it needs it I will just ream out the mainjet a tiny bit and call it good.)....while I have the carb off I will get the old screw out that is sheared off or simply capped off so you can't mess with it, and put in the thumb/finger turnable one
that just arrived.... ...
once that is done the Rack should arrive and I can put that on that should help protect the plastics on the side as well .... when I am doing that I will try to tighten up the battery box as it is kind'a flopy for some reason
and yes with my boots on I can flat foot that tall beast easy now... so the height of the bike is no longer a problem ! that battle has been won !!!!! WOOO HOOO !
Now I get to practice my wheel-stand turns for single track riding ! I used to do that easy ages ago when I was younger, but I'm not as young as I used to be, and Horsing around a 350lb. bike may well take some practice !
I really love the way that thumper feels it's got more power than I will ever need I hope ! HAHAHAHA
now if I can make it have a light front end I will be all set !
Bob........