View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #8
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
You didn't mention the air filter - did you replace or clean it?

Make sure there's nothing under the seat blocking the intake to the airbox.

You could pull the plugs and take a look for clues. You can also check the exhaust pipes with an IR thermometer to see if both cylinders are firing and running the same.

How well does it crank over? A dead battery can cause it to run poorly. Check to see that you have at least 12.7V before turning anything on.

How old is the gas? Bad gas or gas with water (condensation) can cause what you described. If there's any question, I'd completely drain the tank and floatbowls.

Don't bother revving when not under load (riding). The requirements (ignition, air, carb jetting, fuel quality) to rev freely are way less than what is required under load and really doesn't tell you anything when troubleshooting.
The air filter is a K&N KA-2586 filter. It looked good when I removed it so I didn't mess with it. Had a coat of oil and no visible dirt. There is nothing blocking the air intake.

The battery is shot. I have to keep it on a charger otherwise I only get a few cranks out of it, but it's around 12.7 when I go to run the bike. Charging voltage is a solid 13.5 or so. I have a new battery on the way.

The bike cranks like a champ. In the 80-90 degree weather I don't have to use choke to start it or if I do, only slight choke. It fires right up in less than 1 sec of cranking.

Gas is fresh, bought it last week. There was 6oz of seafoam added to a full tank of gas. This was a recommendation from this forum, I think, would this cause an issue in performace similar to what I'm explaining? I wouldn't think so, but IDK.

Regarding checking the temps of the cylinders or exhaust- it idles fine. It revs fine with no load as well, so IDK how to check those temps while I'm hauling tail down the road. I'm a new rider so I should probably focus on my riding vs trying to aim an IR thermometer at the exhaust while I'm on the road

Thanks for everybodys feedback- you guys ROCK! I have some ideas to try out tomorrow, probably remove that fuel filter and run a straight hose from petcock to carbs, then if that doesn't work I'll pull the carbs.
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote