View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #15
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Status update

So I got home this evening late. It was already dark, but my new battery came in, so I got it installed. I also was taking a look at the old fuel line that I replaced (the one that come on the bike when I bought it, I replaced with a new hose and a filter), and there is a piece of something inside it. Not sure what it is, but it LOOKS like someone folded up some type of filter paper and crammed it in there? IDK. Anyway, I put a new fuel hose on with no inline filter and I hope that solves the problem. I'm not very confident, however, because I noticed something else in the process.
First, I didn't take it for a test ride, as I'm gonna wait until tomorrow during the daytime. I have a total of maybe 40 miles experience on a street bike and I don't have plates or a MC endorsement. I don't want to ride at night with so little experience (not to mention the legality). Anyway, back to the new development...
I had noticed a gas smell in my garage whenever I walk in there. I figured it was since I had been working on the bike so much lately, but as I was working on the fuel line, I noticed the gad filler cap was uneven on the tank. It's an aftermarket filler and it's not sitting flush. So I grab a hex key and start tightening it a bit, but it won't flush up. See the pics below...

I notice that there is a strong gas smell right around the filler part of the tank. I can only assume its not air (or water, more importantly) tight. I washed the bike a few days ago and that's when I first noticed the problem, after that. Maybe I got a little water in the tank, I'm pretty sure that would cause a running condition like I have, right?
If that is the cause, what would you guys suggest? I know drain and refill the tank and carbs, but how do I get this filler thing flush? Should I just replace it or take it off and try to reinstall it properly? Any thoughts on this?
Thanks, dudes. You guys rock. @Bk834- I would love to come check you guys out, let me get legal first and get a few miles under my belt before I think about a 4 hour drive =)

Sorry the pictures are HUGE, they were actually about twice as big but I photoshopped them once to shrink them but I guess I didn't shrink enough.

Last futzed with by sickopsycho; October 6th, 2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: I don't know how to post pictures, I guess.
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote