View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:51 AM   #17
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
We have a low-mile Ninja 500 that has the same issue - clutch doesn't engage until the lever is almost completely out. The 500 does have adjustable levers, but it doesn't really solve the problem.

I'm thinking, but am not positive, that the weak clutch springs have something to do with it.

Anyone have this issue and found that replacing the clutch springs with new (non OEM) springs cured it?
The 500 is known for losing power to clutch slippage, so upgraded springs are a fairly common recommendation. http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...gs_Replacement I'm personally using the EBC CSK10, and happy with my ~$10 purchase.

I wouldn't expect it on a low-mileage bike, but the cable itself might be bad and stretching. Lack of maintenance by the PO maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk834 View Post
I'm pretty sure all adjustable ex500/600/750 clutch perches made from 88-07 will fit.
You want Gen2 EX500 perches, so '94-'09 for that model.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote