View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #33
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleOpus View Post
I don't know if you saw my more recent reply but I stated that I mostly eliminated the wobble from straddling the bike more. There is still wobble while emergency braking downhill which I can probably correct.

I'd say: 1. Straighten bike and body, 2. Straddle tank hard, 3. Pull front brakes hard (not too rapidly for the first split second though).
By straddling the bike more you mean gripping the tank tighter with your knees right? The reason this was able to help reduce the wobble is because by squeezing the tank with your knees you can then keep the weight off the bars. However, if you are still finding it happening sometimes under hard braking and especially downhill, it means that you are likely still putting some weight on the handlebars. When you go downhill or brake hard, the body tends to slide forward into the tank and can put added pressure on the handlebars. Under hard braking and braking downhill, if you squeeze the tank with both knees and make an effort to keep the arms loose and relaxed, this can usually eliminate the problem.

One other point is about how the brakes are coming on. If the braking isn't progressive (meaning the brakes are squeezed evenly but then pulled even harder right at the end) that too can cause some added pressure on the front or extra body weight to be flung forward. You want to make sure that the brakes are pulled in quickly and firmly but SMOOTH and progressive.

Hopefully that helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Try gripping the tank with your knees. My guess is you are introducing the wobble because you are decelerating hard and you're weighting the bars as your inertia slides you forward relative to the bike.
Exactly
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote