View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:32 PM   #40
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
I didn't particularly enjoy my MSF class either. I mean, it was ok, but everything seemed very rushed. I also thought the exercises emphasized low-speed parking lot type maneuvers too much. I guess that's partially due to the limitations of teaching in a parking-lot type environment. Someone actually did fail our class, because she didn't maintain the minimum speed in the exercises.
Just look at it as a good way to get some of the basics, but now your learning really begins. Don't rush yourself and you'll be fine.
I started riding over 25 years ago, but went many years without riding. I took the course as a "refresher" (and as a comfort to my wife). Our instructor was very good, but with experience, the class seemed to move very slow for me. But in the end, I did think it was well worth the time and effort. As for the low speed stuff, it is this kind of stuff which helps you to really understand the bike. While the U-Turn seems to be the hardest part for most people, you learn to look where you want to go and not where you are going. This is something that applies at higher speeds as well.

When I first learned to ride, it was a friend showing me how to use the clutch, and how to shift. Then I was off on my own, and learned the rest on the street. Nobody ever told me to not brake in corners. I sort of learned that the hard way (not by crashing though). I wish I had taken this class 25 years ago.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote