View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #32
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane liberty View Post
One of the drawbacks to running a captive spacer is the amount of drag the dust seal has on the spacer itself. I installed my ceramic wheel bearings in my wheels and spun the wheels with the stock dust seals in place. The difference in drag didn't seem to be extremely noticeable. I then realized the dust seals were dragging on the spacers. I took a dremel and shaved them down a tiny bit to clear them from the spacers. Once it was all back together I spun the wheels again and they rotated for days.

Yes, it sucks that my spacers fall out easy if I'm changing tires but the upside is there is next to no resistance when the wheels are rolling. Every little bit helps when you have low horsepower and this helps get all of it to the ground without fighting the motor.

But it's up to you guys. Do you all really need to change your wheels that often or quickly? I race too and I've never seen the need for it unless you're doing an endurance race.
So where exactly did you shave your captive spacers? on the sides or the backside of the spacer that faces towards the inside of the wheel/bearings?
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote