GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Get that muscle memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardywizard View Post
Thanks everyone!

Between my first drop and now I took the MSF course (which sadly we had to back out of due to 110 degree weather and my friend getting heatstroke, so I never passed it). I also kinda struggle to learn in group settings so I was getting somewhat stressed out. I got a lot of skills and confidence from that though.

I also have an appointment booked with an ex-motorcycle cop in Temecula who does training, so I'll be doing that later this month.

Glad I'm not the only person who watched the videos and still can't quite manage it! It's harder than it looks.
When I first bought my bike, I had no idea how to start my bike either. I watched many videos and learned from that but a guy in my apartment complex saw me practicing and gave me some really good advice. He made me sit on the bike and press lever, press brake every time he called it out. He wanted me to build muscle memory over which is which. About 30 minutes later, I started the bike and would just sit on it and slowly release the clutch until the bike moved. Then I would press the clutch again. We did that for an hour while I slowly moved around the apartment. The point of that was to get an understanding of when the bike would start to move. Once again, it was another muscle memory technique because once you are on the real roads, you wont hear the engine.
As a person that was not able to take the MSF course due to it being booked the entire summer, don't be in a hurry to start riding. Take your time and get that muscle memory in. Every day after that I trained those techniques that I was taught until I could release the clutch at a point where it would not stall.
While I'm giving out advice, here is another important piece: wherever you look, your bike will go. Don't go staring at some HOT guy/girl because your bike will end turning that way - and crashing. Once you get your riding skills down, you will have to continuously watch out for other cars that don't see you.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.