Old August 11th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #15
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I never had a problem with the carb screws stripping, but if you put hex bolts in there, you have a greater chance of stripping the threads. Just use the right screwdriver.

As far as replacing the needles, it is possible to change the needles without removing the carb from the bike, but I don't think its less work or less time than removing the whole carb and working on it on the bench. I'd say the odds of damaging a diaphragm are pretty good when you are trying to work in a tight space like that. With the battery box mod you can have the carb out pretty quick.
Nooooo. Talking out of your butt here. I'm speaking out of experience.

Hex head screws don't increase your chance of stripping anything unless you go hulk on the Allen wrench like an idiot. Those stock screws strip easy.

It IS faster if you know what you're doing to get the caps off and shim the needles than to take the carbs out. That's true for air box, modded air box, AND pod filters (ive run all three). However, the first time doing it will be faster to just remove the carbs. I can get my needles height changed without removing the carbs in 15 minutes from start to finish. I just did it 3 days ago. I've also done it 12-15 times between jetting for 4 different setups. Never any diaphragm issues
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote