View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2019, 12:24 PM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR44 View Post
I just wanted to get an idea if my bike's performance is normal. I weigh around 220 and with the exception of removing the front cowling from my bike, the entire bike is stock (mufflers, headers, etc). No shims on the carbs and I have stock jetting. Did a valve adjustment within the last year to factory specs.

When I've gone on the highway, my bike tops out at around 70 mph at around 8-9k. I haven't pinned the throttle yet but it's pretty close. Since I don't have a windscreen, the wind becomes pretty intense. I wanted to see if this should be expected or if my engine is low on power.

Thoughts?
What is the age, manufacturer (brand) and condition of the spark plugs? Good spark is a vital factor.

Also, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your bike's valves but if you do feel that the bike isn't producing proper high-RPM power it's worth taking a peek under the camshaft cover to verify that your recent valve adjustment turned out well. We (here on the forum) have seen situations where an owner did a valve adjustment and something went wrong with one of the valves (either a cracked rocker arm or a rocker arm falling out of it's normal position).

When a rocker arm fails it causes the valve to simply sit in the closed position. The result of this "single valve" failure feels a bit strange to the rider: At low RPMs the bike actually runs better/stronger because of the permanently closed valve, because the cylinder is running like a Honda VFR800 VTEC engine which only operates two valves in each cylinder up to 6,800 RPM. The VTEC system's two-valves-at-low-RPMs strategy makes better torque and horsepower. But if the VTEC didn't start using all four valves above 6,800 RPM the engine's horsepower and torque would fall off at RPMs climbed towards redline.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.