ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Spent all day Saturday working on these tasks:
  • Exhaust header gasket
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Woodcraft Clip-ons
  • Carb tune & sync

After getting new gas into the fuel system, the bike starts right up with choke and once warmed up I reset the idle to ~1400ish. Throttle response was good, and the only con was that it bogs down when quickly chopped (lean?). I have no idea if this is normal, but from my experience it didn't seem normal at all.

At this point I felt adjusting the mixture screws was a bright idea to attempt to fix the problem. This is where things went south. Looking back I should of done the carb sync first with the bike warmed up. But somehow I convinced myself I needed to do this first.

So pulled the carb, adjusted mixture screws 1/4 and reinstalled carb. Repeated this process about 6 times. Nothing was improving and it seemed worse so I set the mixture screws back to what I thought I set originally for the dynojet, L-3 / R-3. Now it would only start with choke and barely wants to run, and will slowly start to die. Giving any gas will kill it. (rich?).

With the bike barely running with the default dynojet setup, I realized I have no baseline reference to work from. Reinstalled the stock needle, jets and set the mixture screws to L-2.5 / R-1.75 (w/ Yoshi full exhaust, K&N air filter, and snorkel removed). Starts with choke, idles rough and again will slowly die. Giving it any gas will kill it. (rich?).

At this point I threw in the towel for the day, but I plan to reinstall the stock exhaust and see if that helps ( Already threw out the stock airfilter and snorkel). If I can get it running right with almost stock parts, I will sync the carbs and also check valve clearance. With those sorted that should give me a better baseline to continue.

I've read everything I can find regarding the 250r carbs, mixture screws, lean/rich, etc... but applying that knowledge takes time and patience, not too mention the right tools.

Any thoughts, tips, or advice would be appreciated.
simook is offline   Reply With Quote