View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #53
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Might try an do a take on this in the near future. Here is what i have going on.

So i bought these chinese preload adjusters off flea bay for $38.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-FORK-C...a5d547&vxp=mtr

They are 37mm but threaded for 34mm 1.5pitch. The inner top tube diameter or stock new gen tubes is around 1.25", close to 32mm. I thought about trying to thread the inner tube for 34mm but after some research 34mm tapes are hella expensive and there is always a chance i ruin my upper fork tube so then i would be out $$$ for the tap and $$$ for new forks.... not really worth it IMO.

So next idea. I will take the cheap chinese Preload adj. and cannibalize them to use in conjunction with this DIY to make them look perdy.

Will drill and thread OEM fork cap for the adjuster screw from the Chinese adjusters and that would create a functional preload adjuster, but then i will cut off the top of the Chinese adjuster at lower part of o-ring which is the distance of gap from OEM cap to top of fork tube. That part will really just sit on top of the OEM fork cap and give the appearance of aftermarket preload adjusters.

Given the tools and the ability $38ish for the parts (Chinese adjusters) isn't terrible compared to $140 for sato or $99 for knock offs. I already have these chinese adjusters so i don't have much to lose, if i mess up the OEM caps or they don't work i will just buy aftermarket adjusters regardless.

original DIY could be done much cheaper but this should be fairly plug and play with the hardware with a more refined look.

More to come, i will need to buy a tap for the adjuster screw but first i need to figure out size and pitch. Should be a lot cheaper for an ~3/8th tap vs 34mm tap Even the cheap Chinese 34mm tap was $90, i offered $50 they declined lol

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote