View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #8216
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
from 20 miles to 200miles, Way to go girl! Your doin' it!

She is parked outside right? Sometime in early Jan., go roll her forward a few inches and check tire pressure. Keeping the tires up to proper pressure will help prevent flat spots.

Going more in depth. Flat spots are a pain to diagnose but super simple to prevent. Pressure up, and move, that is all there is to it. If you can get the bike up on stands that is the best way, but aside of that we don't have many other options. Flat spots are mainly caused by the bike sitting over time with low air pressure. With OH weather being what it is... a 70 degree day is not so rare in the winter, then taking care of your tires will ensure a good tire start to the beginning of your riding season.

Tip: If possible, try to wear out your tires near the end of the season. If done perfectly, you will need a new set to start riding. So then.. you can just park and forget about them all winter. There should be no flat spots on new tires freshly installed.

Tip 2: If you don't get new tires and the bike feels funny at the start of the season and.... you didn't keep the pressure up. Then ask yourself this; are my issues only when I turn left? If so... then you know. HINT: Your sidestand is on the left.

Coach tip:

Rider: My bike makes pretty crappy left turns.
Me: Yea... it's April
Rider: So?
Me: Check your air pressure?
Rider: Sure! 31psi
Me: Nah... I mean over the winter
Rider: What does that have to do with anything?
Me:

Link to original page on YouTube.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote