View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:37 PM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I don't think the front is a simple swap because the speedometer is electronic on EFI bikes, right? If so, then there is no speed sender on the left side and it might require some kind of spacer. Even then, you'd be without a speedometer.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsD.../2015/EX300AFS There doesn't appear to be a speedo drive on the 300's front end. My understanding is that the wheel width is the same between the 300 and NewGen, so the swap would just be to get the matching design, not for technical reasons.

This might be an easy way to eliminate the speedo drive from a track NewGen, if the parts in this area are as similar as some of the other wheel-related parts on different models of the small Ninjas.

Whereas the NewGen has tabs right as part of the wheel, the 500 uses a little piece with tabs that clips into the wheel. If you really wanted to use the 300 wheel with a cable speedo, you might be able to adapt that.

Back to the original topic, the 2015 EX300 swingarm in the parts diagram looks pretty similar to the earlier 300 and NewGen swingarms that I've seen, not counting minor accessory mounting differences.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsD.../2015/EX300AFS

Granted, these are just drawings in a manual, but I don't see anything about that diagram that indicates the main structure of the swingarm is any different. I'm curious to see actual pics of it, to see if there really is any difference.

Random Google image:

That looks pretty similar to what I'm used to.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote