View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2018, 03:17 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Tuning the CR500

My project is finally gathering some momentum. It's a CR500 engine swapped into a CR250 aluminum frame, and it's quite a handful. The decompressor on the head really helps, but it's still a chore to start.

I've got it back to stock jetting, with all the jets that Honda recommends. I've got a richer needle, and two leaner needles in addition to the stock needle which is in it now.

Have a leaner main jet, and three richer main jets in addition to what's in it now.

Also have a leaner and a richer slow jet as well as the stock/installed jet.

Took it to the track for the first time yesterday -- first ride on dirt with dual sport tires. 3rd gear will take the bike up above 80mph, and it's got 5 gears. It has a 45t rear instead of the 51t rear sprocket that Honda called for. Seems smart to gear it back toward stock -- I don't want to go faster than 90 on that bike because it has a bit of headshake and it's mighty twitchy at speed.

I'll be using this thread to document my changes to jetting etc and hopefully get a bit of feedback/advice about the direction that this project is moving in.

Next thing to try will be leaning out the bike -- I'll probably raise the clip on the needle, and then going one size down on the main jet. The bike was running rich, because it was smoking for most of the time, and at WOT it was hesitant to fully come online. It would pull hard and then start 4 stroking and bogging a little before it would "catch" and really light up and take off the way it should. Think that these are signals of a rich mixture. I didn't do any plug readings.

It has an aftermarket FMF gnarly pipe, and an FMF powercore 2 muffler on the back. The pipe has a minor dent, and a 3" long crack in the second bend on the left. Surely neither of those things help -- but I don't have the $ to replace the pipe right now so hopefully it won't make my tuning much more complicated.

Anyways, that's the latest. Dear diary.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.