View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2019, 05:42 AM   #1
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Paint System I use

This is probably only of use to Australian members?

I have been trying to find a rattle can paint system that is readily available, simple and easy to use, single pack and in a range of colours. What I have come up with is a product called Dulux Duramax available from Bunnings Hardware in spray cans followed up by Septone Clear Acrylic Lacquer available from Supercheap Auto and also in spray cans.

I apply 4 coats of the Duramax (one tack coat followed by three double coats). I try and avoid runs but it is not critical as they can be sanded out. After seven days I sand out any orange peel, runs and degloss with 400 wet and dry.

I then spray on four coats of the Septone Clear Acrylic Lacquer (one full coat followed by three double coats but careful to avoid runs). The Septone seems to completely level out over a 24 hour period and requires very little compounding for a high gloss finish. The good bit is that the Septone lacquer is able to be compounded to a smooth high gloss finish and completely compatible with the Duramax colour coat.

I know the finish is probably not chemical proof but neither are most of the dedicated automative rattle can systems on the market. But this works for me and being a bike the bits are reasonably easy to redo if necessary. Hopefully attached is a picture of a fuel tank I have just finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16E4D055-D7F6-4623-BEB9-09E8C55F5647.jpg (75.2 KB, 2 views)