View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
In that case, you need to buy something that runs now.

A project is fine, but not if it's your only transportation. The first thing to do if you decided to fix it yourself would be to start disassembly and figure out what you are dealing with. It could be more than just the gasket. Overheating and warping of the head will make the gasket leak.

We sold a complete engine in very good cond with 4000 mi for $200. Many times that's a better option, but you are still taking chances it will run well.

How much do you have to spend? You can also list your cycle for sale as a project if you don't want to deal with it - but you won't get much.
I'm willing to spend ~$2000 on a newer bike (technically I could do payments on a brand new bike til november when work starts back up but I was hoping to save for a newer car, then).

Overheating is what I was worried about most. It was getting pretty hot (but not in the red) recently, and texas summer traffic certainly didn't help. Years and years ago in CA it overheated to the point of the engine cutting out but like I said, that was years ago. I had ridden it hundreds if not a thousand miles since then. I think the radiator fan was on the fritz, which cascaded this whole mess.

I'm extra wary of used parts right now. I spent $700 on putting in a junkyard rear diff on my van earlier this year and it ended up also being shot. I've got some money to work with, but not throw away.

I wouldn't mind taking my time with it to fix but like I said, these are my only wheels.