View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2021, 08:34 PM   #64
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectPage3 View Post
So I spent hours trying to remove the carbs (which was a task in itself for me) and try to open up and clean the parts (the best I could think of) putting things back together was harder than I thought, but now the bike won't start. I must have made mistake somewhere when putting things together. The electrical seems okay as starter cranks, but it won't start at all
I don't think I have time or skills to fix this, so I'm gonna have to get a mechanic to come over and have a look. At least it was a good learning curve and an experience for future. Let's see what the mechanic says...
it's not a bad thing to reconise when your in over your head...it's a good thing
I think I would take the carbs off and take them alone to your mechanic
rather than having him come to you...that costs alot more that way.
tell him to clean them REAL GOOD and put them back together correctly as you think you messed up.... letting him know that from the start will help you get back your carbs that work ! ( nothing is guaranteed!)

some people can dive right into a set of carbs and be perfectly fine and get the thing all back together great , others arn't that lucky !
you may have screwed in the air screws all the way and forgot that they have to be backed off before the bike will even start.... I think the right one is 1-3/4 turns out and the left one is 1-1/2 turns out but consult the manual and be sure...
...without the airscrews open it will not start and run.... i'm betting that that is what happened.... because when you got to that point you probably thought ok that's the air screw and it needs to be out a certain amount... but how much? I'll just put them in all the way and check the manual when I am done..... and with all the other stuff, it slipped your mind !
.... most of the stuff if not all the stuff in the carbs will only go in one way so it's real hard to mess up on assembly....it's adjustments that will get you !
never mess with the needle clips leave them in the center slot,
don't change the float setting unless you need to ...
carbs can be intimidating but you can fix them yourself just reason out what every part does ....you can do it.
don't give up now ...you almost got it ! LOL
Bob.......