View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #62
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
Opening a shop is a HUGE undertaking. Has anyone here actually done that? It requires a LOT of money, planning, risk, loans, long term financial burden, not to mention the cost of operating and employing people and I don't even know enough about bikes to do it... I live in an area where hardly anyone rides for 4 months out of the year... My two years working at a motorcycle shop is not enough experience to go open my own.
Wise words.

I own a shop, and work on motorcycle and auto components mostly, but it's not a motorcycle repair shop or anything like that. I started it from scratch with money I saved for a long time, and I worked many years in a similar (though not the same) industry.

It can be tough. So many places for the money to go out, and it never seems as many places for it to come in.

Being a business owner has advantages, but they can't be measured in dollars. If work slows down, I can work on my projects - but it doesn't pay the bills.

When it works it can work well, but there will be times when it doesn't.

Jay
www.apexcustomcoating.com
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote