View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2017, 10:17 PM   #476
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuoboe View Post
I am currently reading Mark Barnes "Why We Ride." In the lecture about "Motorcycle Camping," he talks about how we divide into "us versus them" groups. (Road, track, dirt; HD, Asian; cruiser, sport bike, adv bike, dual sport; etc.) I don't think he mentioned Helmet vs not.

My earlier convoluted post about waving to those we might not befriend was about this, I guess. All of those divisions disappear and everyone waves where I ride.

I think that is because the divisions are largely personal, in our heads, but not in reality filled with any animosity. Speaking for myself anyway, I don't understand why people like things I don't, but we are all part of the motorcycle world and I like everyone feeling the connections more than the disconnects!
Many of you are too young to remember the old days. About 40 year ago you were looked upon as a real suicidal weirdo if you rode a motorcycle. Insurance companies very reluctantly provided insurance policies and financial institutions avoided you like the plague if you wanted a "motorcycle loan". Hence bikers were looked upon as the dregs of society. As Mrs. Clinton would say we were a "basket of deplorables". As a downcast faction of society we formed a psychological fraternity and that my children was the birth of "The Waive".

Do you get the impression that GEICO and Progressive insurance want our business today? Remember Honda's attempt to legitimize bikers with their ad slogan "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"?

Bill