View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #19
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Winter Updates:

Fiberglass Bodywork
I'm finally allowing myself to paint the bike this year. I had a thing about keeping it primer grey until I felt like I wasn't slow as molasses. To that end, I'm patching holes and openings in the bodywork to meet CCS spec. Thanks for everyone who answered my question on the belly pan!

I used a West System 105K fiberglass repair kit, which had enough to cover two 2.5 inch diameter holes on the upper and the kickstand cut out. The fiberglass work turns out fairly decently. It's not the worst looking job in the world. Next up, I will have to sand down to smoothness, primer, and then paint.

The weather in DC looks to be variable, so I may not actually paint until mid-March.

Paint-wise, I ended up selecting Spraymax 1K base and a 2K gloss clear coat. Spraymax recommends a minimum temperature of 60F to spray. The new colors will be BMW Estoril Blue and BMW Sapphire Black. Hopefully I'll have it painted by April.

New lowers
To run an oil containment belly pan and also keep the kickstand for normal days, I bought used OEM uncontained lowers. The good thing is that the Catalyst Composites upper matches pretty well with the OEM lower. I drilled out the lowers and am running Dzus pro fasteners now, so it should be a quick change out to the belly pan at the track for no-kickstand days.

And maybe this is against the TOS(? I'll remove link if so), but I had a little hilarious moment with some friends and ended up spending a few minutes making this shirt:
https://www.zazzle.com/trackday_poor...88582842653898

"#TrackdayLife
It means I make poor financial decisions"

2016 review clip
Also, got this little clip from a control rider showing the progress from my first day back in 2016 with my last day of 2016.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.