View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #11
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You actually don't need support rails. Original engine is stressed-member, so just make some custom mounts to hang front of engine. Otherwise you'll need two custom mounts per side to attach EX500 lower rails. And you won't even come close to fitting fairings back on with those in place.

You'll also need 500 instrument cluster if you want tach, different ignition-timing. As well as 500 ignition-box. Thermostat assembly and hoses. Better to move that to side like on 250. Will need to make some brackets top & bottom to attach 500 radiator.

Search on here for 500 swaps, there's some with really good photos. If you have mini-lathe, plasma-cutter and TIG torche, that'll make things A LOT easier.

Sprockets should be 16/42t (some chains with tall plates won't fit under sprocket cover). I'm using new-gen rear-suspension on my pre-gen with ex500 rear-wheel & sprocket for 17" conversion (mine came with 41t). EX500 engine weighs 26-lbs more than 250, so plan on re-calibrating suspension accordingly, it's definitely noticeable. Also upgrade your brake-pads to Galfer to deal with extra weight and speed. Factory OEM pads have very non-linear grip & feel. Initial bite is too sensitive and when you squeeze harder, "oh ****! Where's my brakes!?!@#$!?.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote