View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2019, 08:59 PM   #13
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

After a few forum/internet searches, the main P/N for an alternative to OEM that kept coming up readily for NON L.E.D relay (i.e. light bulb blinkers) was this.

The Ll552

found readily, at most auto stores for 5 to 7 U.S.D. Plugged it in, used some rubber straps, and secured it fairly close to stock position.

Now, as for connecting the blinkers, a few ways to go about it. For various reasons I settled on these. EC3 connectors, that you can pick up from any reputable RC hobby shop. They are permanent, yet disconnect, with a firm tug on both ends, at the same time. Rated up to about 60 amps, which for blinkers is overkill. But after the intial soldering, quick and easy disconnections, if needed. (About 6 to 7 dollars per connector.)

The is a male connector, and 2 male bullets. A female connector, and 2 female bullets.

Female connects from power source.
Male connects to the device you wish to power.

I needed some "helping hands" here. Anyways, you see the orifice that gets filled up with solder, and the wiring that becomes embedded. Don't forget to add the heat shrink tubing, before tining, and soldering.

Once filled in with solder, it should look something like this. Let it wait a few moments to solidify, then give it a reasonable tug, to ensure it's properly soldered. Slide the heat shrink tubing down, and give that a quick blast of hot air. Sealing off any exposed wire. Once cool, push both wires into the EC3 connector, you will feel a firm, locking click. This prevents the soldered bullets, and wire from being pulled out.

Do the same for the male side now. When that is completed.slide the male connector, into the female, until you feel those 2 parts have firm tension. ( for redundancy, I used a cable tie, to lock the to halves in place, so there is no slide out, from vibrations.)

Forgot to take a photo of the two halves mated, with zip tie, but that should be self explanatory. Anyways, there could be a better, easier installation, but for me, it was a nice go between for a permanant solution, and using unreliable crimped blade style connectors. Worst case, something different.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote