View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #14
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome job with finding that relay & building those connectors!!!

Fondly reminds me of my teenage years hanging out at Sheldon's Hobbies getting latest for RC cars. Soldering is really only way to join wires to terminals reliably. Contact surface area is immensely larger than crimping. Can handle much more current and is one of main reasons behind that requirement in aerospace and military applications.

Crimping without soldering is used for cheap and fast production, but has serious drawbacks in durability. OEMs do it for fast production lines, but it comes back and bites them due to corrosion and eventual overload. Kawasaki has numerous faults in their harnesses on many bike-models where multiple common ground-wires are joined via crimped 4-way connectors. These corrode over time due to moisture and arcing from limited contact surface-area fries joint and it fails.

Toyota too has numerous issues with multiple-grounds joining (blue connector in left foot-well). After while, plastic connector housing melts due to heat from high-current flowing through restricted contact-area. It affects entire product-line, from lowly Corollas all way to top-of-line Lexus.

I used to make replacement battery & headlight harnesses for Porsches. Just replacing harness alone increases light-output by 25-50%. Every single wire is pre-tinned entire length for corrosion-resistance, end is crimped, soldered and heat-shrink wrapped according to NASA manual.

Battery harness with mil-spec zinc battery clamps (better conductivity, non-corrosive)

Headlight harness

And I warranty them for 50-years. It's been 25-years now and not single one has come back. People will remove my harness from their cars when selling and move them to their new cars. They occasionally pop up on eBay being sold for higher than my original pricing!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 8th, 2019 at 03:22 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote