View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #38
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Almost a complete hole.....this is from our bike with the Powroll kit. It's a second hand piston we got...crown was way too thin after we looked at it more in depth and it had been machined underneath the dome around the pin bosses creating a weak spot. Didn't find out until it lost power during a race and started missing. I killed it and pulled off the track....just in time before it fully grenaded.

You said there was a lot of carbon on the rest of the piston...running rich can cause this to build up, create a hot spot and cause detonation. Running lean can cause detonation too as well as ignition timing, cam timing and other things.

Although, in this case, I suspect you ran out of coolant, overheated the motor and this is what caused the cylinder temp to rise and detonation to occur.

The piston tops are clean, the carbon buildup in in the top 1/8" of the cylinder on the left side, and on the valve heads on the inside of the combustion chamber. I will clean the carbon off of the cylinder and probbably hone it, and I might try to polish the combustion chamber, I decided not to because I didn't want to lower the compression, but I want to prevent carbon buildup. If i decide to do a high compression build I will forsure polish the combustion chamber, but I might decide to buy a stock kawasaki piston just for my trip, and go high compression when I get a little more spending money.