Old March 29th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank06 View Post
Hi Everyone,

What's the deal with the water hose at the back of the cylinder head cover? Is it necessary to completely remove it in order to get the cover off? I've followed the service manual instructions (pretty much anyway) but see no explicit mention of this, although it is implied in the Reinstallation instructions. The other end is disconnected (at the thermostat housing) and my cover isn't moving yet. I don't want to tap it if that hose has to come completely out.

TIA
My $0.02. Do not disturb the steel tube that rises out from behnind the cylinders. There is an "O" ring at the base of the steel tube and if you're careful not to disturb the tube too much leave it in place - unless it's leaking. If you do remove the tube completely be sure to have a new "O" ring on hand and carefully clean out the hole that the tube fits into. The tube pulls straight up and out. It is secured by a little tab that interfaces with the cam cover (cylinder head cover) and cylinder block. Completely drain your coolant (anti freeze) from your cooling system otherwise coolant will leak out the top of the tube and into the camshaft valley and down into your engine sump. You could probably drain 1/2 the coolant out and be OK - I would drain it ALL. If that happens it may require a couple of complete oil changes to remove the coolant from your oil galleys and sump - filter changes too. Ask me how I know.

Bill