View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #32
1uglybastard
ninjette.org member

Name: Julius Caesar

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ducati M1100 EVO, CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I feel that Engineering is a solid choice for a career. Of my 3 kids, 2 are studying to become Engineers. The third is talking about the Marine Corps.
Most of my colleagues and I are doing very well, but a few have had some trouble staying employed due to cutbacks. Engineering gigs aren't like they used to be where you could walk in a place and get a job. Make sure they network aggressively. Also, it pays well, but they should save aggressively too. unemployment can last months or, for a few, years. If they get a job in a stable industry, work hard, and are socially flexible people, then they can have a very good career. most likely they'll be bouncing around from job to job in order to grow. most engineers nowadays have between 6-10 jobs throughout their careers.

Oil and gas has its ups and downs, and the downs can be brutal. some end up working in an entirely different field after they get laid off, so your kids may want to save this field as a last resort.

As far as the Marine Corps, from my experience, it promotes the slowest of all the branches, but that depends on your job. If the get an MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) that is very populated, then promotions will go very slowly, and if you get passed up for promotion twice, they don't allow you to reenlist. The recruiter most likely won't know which jobs are full so he should find some marines that work in an Admin MOS and ask them. they usually know because they process promotions paperwork. I can tell you Intel is probably still one of the fastest promoted MOSes. They are the tacticians who study intel given by recon and plan missions.
1uglybastard is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.