View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM   #161
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Hopefully you will make enough to pay off your student loans.

I got a great job before I even graduated. After about 6 years I was supervisor of the central analytical instrument laboratory for a major pharmaceutical company. Nine years into my career I left for a sales job in the analytical instrumentation. Never look back. After many years of working for major analytical instrument manufactures I walked away from working for one company. The last 23 years I started and run may own successful sales and marketing company. Guess what selling scientific instrumentation for several companies not just one. I was their hired gun. Straight commission, I did not cost them anything until I sold something. I broke sales records for every company I took on. Most of these companies had what is known as a "direct sales force". I was under contract, 15% straight commission. All I did was sell. Th instrumentation I sold ranged from $50,000.00 to 350,000.00 dollars. I also had a 2% kicker in the contract for a list price sale. Most of my sales were at list price. The direct sales liked to offer discounts as an inducement. I like to focus on the customers heart and what they wanted. Then I offered a product to fit their hearts desire. I never took a phychology course while getting my degree in chemical engineering, but selling involves a great deal of reading and instening to people.

The money, the perks, recognition, world travel, expense accounts, are all on the sales side of the business.

Your degree may land you a great job, but you are going to need specific training. I lived on the very technical side of the sales business. Many folks think you have to have a certain personality to succeed in sales. You do not. You need to be trained. It is a little being an actor and a professional althete. You have to play your role and remember only those at the top of their game make the big bucks. You also have to love people and use money. Not the other way around.

Get experience and get to the sales side as soon as possible. Some call it the "dark" side, because they do not like to operate in the arena where your accomplishments are measured and recorded every month.

Good luck
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.