View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:36 PM   #180
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I didn't get fired yet ... I'm constantly worried about that though. My boss told me that he passed over two more qualified techs because I was the only one who wrote thank you letters for my interviews and because, basically, the company could potentially make a lot of money off me since I'm a blank slate to train how they want (that's not how he phrased it).
If he brings up the topic (I'd be careful about initiating the conversation myself), I would try to nail down a professional development plan with your boss. It shouldn't be a 1-way street at all - what do they expect you to be proficient at and by what time (ie, in 3 months, we expect you to be capable of handling the following things on your own), and what you can reasonably expect from them in terms of training and mentorship.

Having that out in the open makes understanding explicit expectations from them much easier, makes it easier to know where you're doing well or struggling, makes it easier to identify what you need to work on (and when its appropriate to ask), and can make it easier to have conversations about these things before firing is even a point of discussion.

All of the above is much easier said than done but if you see an opening to have that kind of conversation, take it.

Just my two cents; congrats on the job.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.