View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2021, 03:30 PM   #16
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Name: Clark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
As far as adjusting the idle mixture goes, that's not usually how I do it.

CV carbs are going to "bog" when you open them fast - no matter what. That’s especially true when not under load and with small displacement engines.

To adjust the idle mixture, first make sure the carbs are synced. Then warm the engine by riding a while.

Turn each adjustment screw to get the highest RPMs. After both are set at the max idle speed, I go out (richer) about 1/8 or so from there. Then adjust the hot idle speed to the correct RPM with the idle speed adjuster.

Going just slightly richer than the max RPM gives you a smoother transition as you open the throttle.

EDIT - Your Main Jet may still be too rich.
Good to know that CV carbs don't like it when you open the throttle fast haha, I don't have any baseline feeling for what a Ninja 250 feels like and how it responds. I'll take all the info I can get!

In the video, when I barely start opening the throttle slowly, I assume the main jet is kicking in almost instantly? As far as jet size goes, this is the smallest I have, unless I size down to the OEM one.

Also, on the idle mixture adjustment, what do you mean "
Turn each adjustment screw to get the highest RPMs"? Should I get the bike warm, and literally turn the screws until the RPMs raise, and find the highest point and leave it there? It's certainly different than my method.

Thanks!