View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #20
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Here's an updated post to all my gear; won't be as detailed as the original but I'll do my best to cover the important stuff. Don't have pictures of everything; just don't have the time.

Updates/Final Thoughts of Gear Already Reviewed:

Helmets - I followed up my Bell Vortex with an Arai Vector 2 and currently own a Shoei RF-1200 (reviewed below). My thoughts haven't changed on the Vortex. It served its purpose and was a decent helmet with the piece of mind of carrying a Snell 2010 rating. However, stepping into the Arai felt like going from a Carolla to a BMW; just a more solid, comfortable helmet. Only niggle with the Arai is I could never become efficient at swapping the visor. Don't care how simple the YouTube videos made it seem, I just could not master it and felt like I was going to break the visor every time. The only reason I'm not in an Arai right now is because I'm not a fan of any of their current graphics; every one of them just has something I don't quite like.

Arai Vector 2 - 09/2012 - 02/2015 (secondary helmet since 04/2014)

(pictured with my current helmet - Shoei RF-1200)

Comfort: 5/5 - such a plush liner and the aerodynamics made it comfortable at highway speeds, despite the lack of padding on the chin strap, it was still comfortable
Fit & Finish: 5/5
Air Flow: 3/5 - the brow vents worked moderately well, the chin vent flowed the most but the top vent didn't do much
Features & Functionality: 3/5 - not a "bad" score, but nothing special about it
Noise: 3/5 - average, suffered from the "duck call" noise at highway speeds on the top vent; first time it happened freaked the hell out of me
Weight: 4/5 - definitely better than the Bell, but it's not a featherweight
vision: 3/5 - average, good vision but I don't have personal experience with anything to truly compare it to in terms of wide field of vision

Shoei RF-1200 - 04/2014 - present

Comfort: 4/5 - Soft liner, but not as nice as the Arai
Fit & Finish: 5/5 - vent doors are solid, visor mechanisms are solid
Air Flow: 3/5 - better venting than the Arai, but the chin vent directs air right into my eyes which dries them and I have to keep blinking to keep my eyes moistened
Features & Functionality: 5/5 - has emergency cheek pad release to allow safe removal of helmet; comes with a Pinlock insert which has been most helpful in the winter
Noise: 3/5 - average; no matter how tight I keep the visor and how often I lubricate the seals there's always a high-pitched whine from air getting past the seals; my dad's Shoei Qwest has this same issue
Weight: 4/5 - better than the Bell, on par with the Arai
vision: 3/5 - I'd call it better than the Arai but if only by a little bit

This was an impulse buy and I truly only bought it because I liked the graphic and I'm a huge Marquez fan. If I had the cash I'd probably pick up the Marquez X-12 replica. I digress... Honestly, I like the Arai better as an overall helmet but just barely. The Shoei is the better helmet in terms of fit and finish, the vents don't seem as "cheap" (loose term when talking about an Arai) as the Arai and the included Pinlock is awesome. The thing that has me wanting another Arai is it was just more comfortable and fit me better which is the most important thing when riding. Definitely can't go wrong with the RF-1200. The easy-to-swap visor is icing on the cake and the gold visor I went with is acceptable for night-time riding as well versus the dark smoke visor on the Arai.

Here I am in all my current gear:

Head to toe:
  • Shoei RF-1200 helmet
  • Dainese Avro jacket - 06/2013 - present
  • SAS-TEC Back protector - 08/2012 - present
  • Knox Handroid gloves - 11/2014 - present
  • Dainese Delta Pro EVO pants - 09/2013 - present
  • Dainese TRQ Race Out boots - 08/2013 - present

Dainese Avro jacket - I had to replace my Dainese Alien jacket/pants after dropping about 30lbs and they no longer fit properly. Love the Avro jacket, decided to go with a bit more flash after the enjoying classic Alien style. I noticeably miss the bubble liner of the Alien jacket but the Avro makes up by having a removable liner which negated the necessity of layering up in the winter. As with anything Dainese, craftsmanship is top notch. Only gripe is the white panels on the sleeves have discolored over time whereas the white shoulder panels are still a nice, bright white color which just irks the crap out of me since I clean my leathers so frequently.

SAS-TEC back protector - The Dainese back pad I had was just too stiff and got on my nerves. Swapped it for the SAS-TEC and it has been great. It isn't a perfect fit in either of my Dainese jackets, I find myself having to adjust it before jumping on my bike, but once it's adjusted, the snugness of my jacket keeps it in place.

Knox Handroid gloves - between the Cortechs reviewed previously, I had a pair of Knox Biomech gloves. They were a good blend of protection, looks, and comfort whereas the Handroids are a bit too audacious while admittedly having superior protection. The Biomechs developed a hole in the tip of the left index finger shortly after getting soaked in a heavy downpour for a 30 minute ride home. The index finger was a single panel on the Biomech; on the Handroids it looks like the tip of the index fingers consist of 2 panels so I don't see that issue happening again. I only bought these because STG was having a Black Friday sale so I snagged them for not much more than the cost of the Biomechs. Compared to the Alpinestars and then the Cortechs, the Knox gloves require a long time to break in. Once they do, they feel great but they're a bit painful until broken in. Given the limited number of warm days this winter I haven't had much time with these gloves so they're still snug. The leather bunches a bit where my pinky finger connects to my hand which can get uncomfortable from time to time. Other than that, I'm still reserving judgement until they're fully broken in. So far, my only definitive gripe is the panel which covers the wrist strap is much shorter than that of the one found on the Biomechs making it a touch more cumbersome to put the gloves on a cinch the wrist strap down. I always have to fish the panel from behind the strap so that it covers the strap again. They're still a touch much in the terms of appearance but given the rest of my gear, they blend in IMHO. (Photos of the Biomechs below)

Dainese Delta Pro EVO pants - Really not much to say; they're comfortable as hell, connect easily with my jacket. Sad to say the sliders are unused after about 18 months of ownership and most likely will be that way (pending any unforeseen incidents) for the immediate future. I think I've praised the quality of Dainese gear enough in this thread so I'll save it.

Dainese TRQ Race Out boots - First things, first, white was not my first choice. Caught these on closeout from Revzilla and white was the only size that fit me. Definitely made for a narrower foot (which I do not have); I couldn't walk around all day in these. The Bilt boots were more comfortable in that regard. I went with these because a) I'm a Dainese whore, and b) they were the cheapest boot offering lateral ankle protection. As with any track boot, these are squeaky as hell, I don't recommend these as your footwear of choice when carrying out any ninja-style assassinations. I was actually a bit disappointed with the boots in the terms of finish. The glue was clearly visible (and yellowing) where the sole was attached to the boot. Something very noticeable on a white boot. The soles have worn well though, whereas with the Bilt boots I replaced my first pair after a year because the soles worn down too much; these should last me quite awhile longer. Ignoring the visible glue on the soles, they've held up pretty well despite being a bit neglected in terms of cleaning them. (Photos of the boots below)

Other Gear

Dainese Scout Gore-Tex gloves - 10/2012 - present - cold-weather glove; I've tolerated temps into the upper 20's at highway speeds with these gloves. Not saying I was comfortable, just that I tolerated it. I plan on having grip heaters on my next bike for sure but in the mean time, these have at least helped me extend my riding season to be year-round on the "warmer" winter days. For me, there comfortable temperature range is high 30's to low 60's. Anything colder and they go from "comfortable" to "tolerable," anything above 60 and hands start to sweat and then they're a PITA to get off. I wouldn't feel particularly safe if I crashed with these gloves, they're basically canvas gloves with some leather panels stitched on and some knuckle armor for a little added protection.

Forcefield Limb Tubes - 03/2014 - 10/2014 - I thought these would be a slimmer alternative than the Dainese Knee V-Guards I had but they only proved to be just as bulky on the knees and made pulling jeans on a chore. They weren't particularly comfortable for me either and quickly found myself using them less and less so I opted to sell them. At this point, I've made the conscious decision to go with no armor on my legs.

Kriega US-20 Drypack - 03/2013 - present - When I got my 600RR the magnetic tank bag no longer worked since the tank has a fiberglass shell over it. I didn't want to glue magnets under the tank cover. I liked the idea of a tail bag to allow me the ability to tuck in colder weather when cruising down the highway. This thing is great, simple in design, effective in utility, and it can fit a bunch. It's basically just a bag with waterproof interior liner. You roll it up and snap it shut. I opted to install the straps to the frame to attach it to the bike versus strapping under the passenger seat and trusting the passenger seat latch to never fail. It took some time to attach the harnesses to the frame but absolutely worth it for piece of mind.

Alpinestars Tech Neck Warmer - 12/2013 - present - simple, yet effective in keeping my neck warm when riding in the winter. Super soft lining even after multiple washes. Best $20 I've spent on riding gear. I tend not to ride with it pulled over my nose and mouth because it absorbs the moisture of my breath causing it to become damp so you feel like you're laying on a pillow you've been drooling on for awhile.

Random Pictures

Dainese boots when they were new, out of the box:

(showing the yellow glue; it was around a majority of the sole)

Comparison shots of my Knox Biomech gloves - brand new and then after 1 year:

Knox Handroids (brand new) and Knox Biomechs (18 months old):

It's hard to make out, but the hole in the left index finger tip on the Biomechs is visible.

Kriega tailbag installed

Apologies for the disjointed post, I just don't have the same amount of free time to think out these long-winded posts but the main ideas I wanted to convey are there. If you have any questions about any of the gear I have owned please feel free to post or PM me.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote