View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The idea was to use the stock instruments for now, both to keep the cost down, and to find out if I liked them or wanted to eventually go to something more compact. The headlight in the photos is a Peterson LED sealed beam, which I think is identical to the Truck-Lite one. It puts out excellent light for night riding, but is poor for being seen in the daytime unless you're directly in the beam. To other drivers that are off to the side, it looks like the light is not turned on. I came up with a solution, but that's for a different thread.

Here are a couple overall shots. I trimmed the plastic housing a little to remove parts of the edge that aren't needed.

The next two show the bracket I made that mounts the bottom of the plastic housing. Machine screws go through the housing, and have washers and self-locking nuts on the inside. I made four spacers to go in the four recesses in the handlebar brackets under the new gauge mount, so that when I tightened the new longer bolts, the bars tightened properly. They're just pieces of bar stock with bolt holes through them, and they sit on the surfaces that the original bolt heads sat on.

I stabilized things with two aluminum struts that connect to the original gauge mounts at the top, and two of the headlight ear bolts at the bottom.

Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote