View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Right on, I've got bored with the 250R also for the first 3 months of riding. I sold the 250R and upgraded to a Yamaha R6 after that, so much more fun and fast. But that was when I used the bike for fun, not to commute (work, school, etc) I had car and bikes at that time.

Now though I sold my car, and use my Ninja 250 (yes bought another one) to commute and get around places.

I understand in the US speed limit are higher, that you always get close to redline of the Ninja 250R, this is a very good reason to upgrade, the 250 is not enough for you. Because I live in very urban places, my highway speed have been 8-10K, maybe once a while 11-12k but i always ride at max 75-77miles per hour (converted for you), because the speed limit here is quite strict and I dont want to get too close to the red line all the time.

Therefore I think your upgrade is very justified, but 1988 for commute seems a bit too unreliable. I would sell the Ninja 250R and use the money to upgrade for something newer 1999 at least.

The R6 I had before was from 1999, and I certainly wouldn't use it for commute, it had many miles and parts were old felt like it would break any second.
Our situations do indeed vary. I go on occasional trips to Queens so from my rides there, albeit at night, a 250 is perfectly befitting while my 250 only does an okay job accommodating my commute. On the other hand, gas is extremely cheap but I always wondered what kind of gas savings I'm experiencing if my bike is always at 11K.

You do have a point. Getting a 20 year old motorcycle as a commuter is definitely a risk in itself. The last thing I'd like is to be stranded on the side of the i495 which'd only remind me of what my driving instructor once said, it stands for i-die. Lol

You mentioned speed limit strictness but is that only because you're in an urban area or because it's just set very low compared to over here? And thanks for the conversion -- I feel like the standard 88.5KPH was already a tad slow.

Oh and that R6. Mhm. One day. That or a GSXR (only because it feels more compact and suited for my shot height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc.young View Post
500 for a non runner that your planning on flipping and the bike really isn't that noteworthy is a bir tight I think. I'd you can wrench pretty well then it could be a good deal counting nothing else is up. Less is always better regardless. Keep in mind things like greasing and lubing a lot of things will be necessary as piece of mind. Why not get a friend to give you a second set of eyes
If only. When I crashed, everyone I knew probably felt that the bike's totaled and had no hopes. I don't know anyone that's exactly dependent and the one person that rides beater bikes don't even work on them. He just chances it when he commutes to work on them. Lol

I'm actually going to try to drop the price to $350