Thread: El250
View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Before doing any adjustments, I suggest getting to a common baseline. That is, restore your carbs to brand new condition.

Case in point, last fall I had Gordon (ducatiman) do complete refurb job on my 2008 street-bike's carbs. They came back in sparkling clean lickable brand-new factory fresh condition. Bike ran perfectly like brand-new bike off showroom floor. Needed minimal time on choke to warm-up and ran flawlessly with no hiccups or stumbles.

Then I sold bike in Dec. to guy giving himself Festivus present. He had bigger-plans than his schedule allowed I guess. And bike sat for 6-months and I bought it back last month. Figured I'd take it for weekend ride up Mt. Tam with some friends like good ol' days. Nope, it was temperamental to start, needed lots of choke for long time. It coughed, hesitated just going down street in straight line. Then stumbled and fell flat on its face if I gave it too much throttle too quickly; almost bucking me over handlebars like bull. Obviously too lean and needs bigger jets and needle-shimming right???

NO!!! That's just covering up real cause and problem, which is dirty and clogged carbs!!! You see that trend reported over and over again. Someone added bigger holes to their carbs and it runs better. Then while later, months or years, it starts hiccuping again and they go to bigger jets again... and again... and again... That's just treating symptoms. To address actual cause of problems, you need to clean carbs and restore to factory new condition!. As a baseline... then fine-tune to account for upgrades.

So, to fix my stumbling ninjette, issue, I'm going to do thorough cleaning. Ultrasonic bath with heavy-duty industrial chemicals (that you need EPA license to use). Floss all hidden passages and fuel-circuits. Soda-blast every hole and tunnel. Replace jets and needles with new ones in factory sizes. Or I can just send them to ducatiman again. Either way, getting back to factory-fresh baseline guarantees bike will run as new. Then I can make adjustments knowing I'm starting with clean-slate instead of making up for previous messes.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...php?p=1041052/

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 17th, 2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: fixed link
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote