View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #24
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
never had any michelins but i have taken brand new, 0 mile bt003s to the track and took one and a half warm up laps (no warmers) before going balls out with no traction issue.

if you aren't turning much and in fact get 95 mpg which i find really hard to believe unless you are going 35mph in 6th gear everywhere, why would you bother grinding useful rubber off of a tire to make it... turn in faster??? if you drive straight 99% of the time, taking away that rubber on the side is going to do nothing but make the center of the tire wear even faster.
You don't notice a rear tire getting "edgey" during cornering after it gets flat in the center? I thought everybody new that. Cornering traction of a square rear tire is reduced when you bank up onto the sharper corner that is created by the junction of the flat center to the remainder of the normal tire shape. By grinding away the higher sides, I have simply restored the normal shape of the tire that it started out life with. At the expense of some rubber that I wasn't using very often anyway.
My 88 mpgUS lifetime average is 3/4 highway at 68mph and 1/4 city neighborhoods. The last three tanks have been over 95 mpg since I changed to longer gearing and have started using Pulse and Glide techniques (PnG).