View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2017, 05:03 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm not so sure... this is a matter of semantics. To me, if I'm not comfortable I am by definition riding over my head and it's time to back off. I don't learn anything or become more comfortable as a result, only that I screwed up and went too far.

I feel that riders do make progress even riding within their comfort zone, simply because their skills improve. Riding within a comfort zone doesn't necessarily mean static development. The comfort envelope expands and speeds increase without the high risk involved in pushing the SR button and riding beyond a given skill level.

I think that "all the skill in the world but your comfort level is low" is something of an oxymoron. If you have all the skill in the world, it stands to reason that your comfort level will be much higher than a less-skilled individual. Therefore you will be faster automatically. That's what I'm getting at with the OP... those bike handling and judgment skills have improved, therefore I'm more comfortable going faster because it doesn't feel scary. Pushing above my comfort level isn't what made those skills improve. Experience, practice and instruction are.

I do think a lot of this has to do with personality. If you're seeking an adrenaline rush, the only way to get it is by pushing to the edge and beyond, and accepting the greatly elevated risk that goes along with that. Likewise, if you're chasing lap times, you're more likely to push that extra bit to grab the brass ring.

If you're just there to develop as a rider, become better and smoother, all of that... then those goals mean less.

People ask me how fast I go. I really don't know, and frankly don't care. I never look at my speedo, and I'm not one of those guys who has to tape it over to keep my eyes off of it. My gauge of success is how the lap feels, and whether I left anything on the table (which is often). I view those missed opportunities as wasted time. That's what makes me want to go faster... but always within my limits.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.