View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I think I'd love @Misti to give her feedback next time she stops by -- she definitely has a bit of "pushing you just a bit more" when she leads me, but obviously she's also focusing on watching my technique as well.
I know she spends at least as long trailing me to watch for what I'm doing so she can give feedback and I bet also that way she knows how much left I've got in the skill tank before I'll start getting myself in trouble.
Quickly before I race to school to get my kids

How much to push a student is certainly one of the hardest skills as a coach to master. Push too hard and the student can crash behind you trying to catch/keep up.

We do spend a fair bit of time behind watching to know what needs more work, what is working well and also we also keep a careful eye on our students when we jump ahead to ensure that our student is close and that we aren't gapping them too much. Plus, we need to show them the technique we are workign on. So if it is throttle control and getting them to roll on the gas more then I'd lead them in at a comfortable pace but maybe gap them on the exit to show just how much more they could roll on. If we are working on entry speed combined with TC then I may lead them in slower then they are used to to demonstrate how sometimes slower in can lead to faster out. It's a very individualized program for each student and a very careful line that we like to be sure we don't cross.

As I said, lead a student in too fast or push them too hard and some of them can go down behind you trying to keep up. Again, knowing your student's personality can help with this as well. I'll read the rest of the thread when I get another moment of free time.

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.