Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Quickly before I race to school to get my kids

How much to push a student is certainly one of the hardest skills as a coach to master. Push too hard and the student can crash behind you trying to catch/keep up.

We do spend a fair bit of time behind watching to know what needs more work, what is working well and also we also keep a careful eye on our students when we jump ahead to ensure that our student is close and that we aren't gapping them too much. Plus, we need to show them the technique we are workign on. So if it is throttle control and getting them to roll on the gas more then I'd lead them in at a comfortable pace but maybe gap them on the exit to show just how much more they could roll on. If we are working on entry speed combined with TC then I may lead them in slower then they are used to to demonstrate how sometimes slower in can lead to faster out. It's a very individualized program for each student and a very careful line that we like to be sure we don't cross.

As I said, lead a student in too fast or push them too hard and some of them can go down behind you trying to keep up. Again, knowing your student's personality can help with this as well. I'll read the rest of the thread when I get another moment of free time.

This is exactly what Ken Condon did during that private instruction. Never over the edge (i.e. blowing the mental budget), but always challenging me to do more.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote