View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2018, 06:44 PM   #11
CMad919
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2018 BMW S1000XR, 2008 Yamaha R6, 2009 Honda XR650, 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Let's get to work on this thing.
Thats what i like to hear!

Backstory: found the bike on FB market listed for $800. Bike looked good but the description said "engine needs cleaning out". I messaged the seller and asked if he would take 500 to which he replied "if you come tomorrow yes". I know i could get 500 back from parting it out if it was gonna be more to fix it then was worth. I went the next day and was shocked on how good it looked. Only problem was EVERYTHING was covered in oil. I asked him what happened and he explained how he, like many i have gathered from lurking this forum, overfilled the oil during an oil change because it was on its side stand. He said he rode it down the road and it started "knocking" so he walked it back. It then sat for two months and he could never get it going again. I didn't think there was any engine damage so i bought it.

Got it home, corrected the oil level, and sprayed starter fluid in the airbox and it roared to life. got it to idle and took it for a spin. It wouldn't rev over 7k so i knew a carb cleaning was in order. Removed all bodywork and the airbox(PITA) then pulled and cleaned the carbs. Lots of good info from you guys here and youtube so that made things easy. reinstalled the carbs and it reved clean to redline. Then the electronic gremlins were found. This guy had added LEDs so they both blinked. i was also having issues with the dash lights and taillight not working. One search here and i found the diode kit as well as some troubleshooting tips for the whole electric system. Installed today, checked all fuses and the gremlins are GONE. I appreciate all the knowledge you all have shared. I'm sure ill have some hiccups to come and look forward to reaching out for help! cheers!!!

Last futzed with by CMad919; December 22nd, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
CMad919 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.