View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #23
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentIm View Post
After I installed the BRT CDI unit, I played with the limiter. As I was noob, my bike lost compression in 6 months of occasional abusive use. After twice valve lapping, the intake valve edge become too sharp and sunk into the seat. At this point I got my intake valves replaced plus cam chain (It rattled bad as well).

During those time I set down my redline limiter until I found safe redline around 13.5 K, and my bike still goes strong in this 3 months after rebuilt. Even that I dont overrev my bike too long, just to provide me some more time/ RPM to shift up before the CDI kills the spark.

TBH, I am courious and envy how the older ninja is set up 14K redline from factory. Did the older ninjas come with stronger cam drives? Has anyone ever thought to put older ninja valves into EX250J / EX 300?
this kind of valve seat job reduces its life (and the valves seating surface rapidly as I mentioned...
the older 250s use other type of cams(rectangular) and followers to activate valves, so no it cannot be done... those extra revving from factory leading mostly to follower or cam wear... that is why they switched to the current (improved) system...